Friday, September 5, 2008

GRANNY, 71, FIGHTS THUG

A feisty 71-year-old retired nurse fought off a hulking mugger outside her Upper East Side home yesterday - chasing him down the street even after he'd stabbed her twice.

Barbara Mirbt was confronted by the 5-foot-8, 200-pound thug on East 83rd Street, near her apartment building between Second and Third avenues, shortly after midnight as she returned from a nursing home where she had visited a friend.

"He was whispering at me, so I turned around with a smile," she said. "He told me I should give him my bag. I didn't do anything and he stabbed me."

But the spry septuagenarian still refused to let go of her pocketbook, and the thug knocked her to the pavement.

"He said, 'I'm going to stab you more,' " she remembered. "I looked in his face and he stabbed me."

He fled and she tried to chase him down. But he got away.

Mirbt was released after treatment at New York Hospital.

"I'm not doing too well," she said as she returned home last night. "I'm exhausted and in pain."

0 comments:

Latest Posts

Latest Comments