Monday, July 21, 2008

Size 16 girl scoops second place in Miss England competition as 'Combat Barbie' wins 'Eco Girl' award

A 17-year-old girl today became the first size 16 girl to come second in the Miss England beauty contest.

Chloe Marshall, who is a trainee opera singer from Cranleigh, was crowned Miss Surrey.

Chloe said earlier: "I wanted to enter Miss England to show everyone that you can be beautiful no matter what size you are and that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes."

Together with 'Combat Barbie' Katrina Hodge, 21, from Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Chloe overshadowed the Miss England winner.

Lance Corporal Hodge 21, from Tunbridge Wells, Kent, who was honoured for fighting off an Iraqi insurgent, was awarded the Eco Girl Award.

Collecting her prize, she said: "I am an ambassador for the whole of the armed forces.

"Obviously, I have had a bit of stick from the lads.

"I have been to Iraq and there is nothing scarier than walking on this stage."

The Miss England title went to a 22-year-old graduate from a family of beauty queens.

Miss Derby, Laura Coleman, said it was her "dream" to win the title.

She said: "I'm really excited. It's great to support Derby and do my parents proud. My mum and my grandmother are both beauty queens so it's a family tradition. It really is my dream to do this."

In third place was Miss Norwich, Jessica Linley, 18.

The judging panel this year's competition held at the Troxy Centre in London included Hollyoaks actor Chris Fountain and actress Ravi Singh.

Miss Coleman will go on to represent England at the Miss World competition in Kiev, Ukraine, in October.

0 comments:

Latest Posts

Latest Comments