Saturday, July 5, 2008

Rudd 'can't stand' magazine's nude child photo

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says he cannot stand the photo of a young naked girl published on the cover of an art magazine.

Art Monthly Australia says it put the six-year-old naked girl on its cover to protest against the censorship of nude children in art.

Mr Rudd has told ABC1's Insiders program that the cover goes against the interests of protecting children.

"How can anyone assume that a little child of six years old, eight, 10, 12, somehow is able to make that decision for themselves," he said.

"I mean I don't think I can [assume that] - that's just my view and that's why frankly I can't stand this stuff."

The New South Wales Minister for Community Services wants the magazine referred to the Australian Classification Board.

Meanwhile child abuse campaigner Hetty Johnson from Bravehearts says she is heartened by Mr Rudd's comments.

"I think the Prime Minister has made his views on this issue very, very clear," she said.

"I have to say, in my 11 years of campaigning on this issue I've never been more prouder of this country than I am in listening to what the Prime Minister has to say.

"Nor have I felt more confident around the direction in which Australia is going around the protection of children."

0 comments:

Latest Posts

Latest Comments