Thursday, September 4, 2008

Carmel Tebbutt named NSW deputy premier

Labor MP Carmel Tebbutt has been chosen as the next deputy premier of New South Wales.

The current deputy John Watkins announced yesterday that he was quitting politics.

Ms Tebbutt was unanimously endorsed as deputy premier by her left faction colleagues during a meeting at State Parliament and she will be formally endorsed during a Caucus meeting tomorrow.

Ms Tebbutt left the frontbench 18 months ago for family reasons, but she says she is now ready to take on a greater role.

"I had to consider whether I can balance the responsibilies of putting myself forward for deputy premier with my responsibilities as a mother and I have thought those things through," she said.

"I've talked with my family, I've talked with my colleagues, I've talked with my community and I am very heartened by the support that people have shown for me to take on this role."

0 comments:

Latest Posts

Latest Comments